5 Best Pillows for Stomach Sleepers in 2021
Each one of us is a unique sleeper. We all have a particular position or side we prefer to sleep on or even the side of the bed. Whatever the case may be, finding the right pillow for you is incredibly vital for consistent and comfortable sleep.
Sleeping on the stomach happens to be the least common position, accounting for only a measly 7% of reported sleepers. Consequently, getting the best stomach sleeping pillows can get rather challenging. This guide rounds up some of the best options on the market, plus a buying guide to help you find the ideal pillow.
Stomach Sleeping in a Nutshell
- 1 Stomach Sleeping in a Nutshell
- 2 1. Best Overall - Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
- 3 2. Best Hypoallergenic - Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow
- 4 3. Best Comfort - Tempur-Pedic Symphony Pillow
- 5 4. Best Cooling- Bluewave Bedding Ultra Slim Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- 6 5. Best for Neck Pain - PineTales Stomach Sleeper Latex Pillow
- 7 What to Look for in the Best Pillow for Stomach Sleepers
- 8 Frequently Asked Questions about Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
Sleeping on the stomach is quite unpopular, mainly due to a couple of drawbacks associated with the position. According to experts, the biggest problem with stomach sleeping is that it interferes with the spine's natural curvatures. Most stomach sleepers are compelled to regularly turn their heads, which puts undue stress on neck muscles, shoulders and even the upper back.
With that being said, sleeping on the stomach also has its fair share of benefits. Stomach sleeping has been known to alleviate snoring and sleep apnea symptoms since the airway is almost always open. As much as this position is often discouraged, it can help a few sleepers out there.
For safety, when you sleep on your stomach, you should always take the right steps to ensure that your neck remains in a neutral alignment. Preferably, it would be best if you used a thin pillow that prevents the neck from angling in any direction. A small or body pillow underneath your abdomen when you sleep can also help provide a gentle spine curve.
Here are 5 of the best pillows for stomach sleeping:
1. Best Overall - Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow
- LOOK NO FURTHER, HOT SLEEPERS - Your search for the perfect adjustable pillow has come to an end....
- FULLY ADJUSTABLE, YOU ARE IN CONTROL – Experiencing pain, snoring or tossing and turning are all...
- IS YOUR PILLOW GREEN GUARD GOLD CERTIFIED? – Our Coop Home Goods Eden Pillows undergo strict,...
- WE CARE – ONLY THE HIGHEST QUALITY MATERIALS USED! - The case is made with proprietary Lulltra...
- YOUR BEST SLEEP EVER, GUARANTEED - You can now purchase with confidence. If you don’t fall in love...
The Coop Home Goods Eden Pillow is made of polyester and bamboo-derived viscose rayon. It uses a polyester liner to maintain its fill in place. Both the cover and liner are adequately stretchy to ensure the sleeper can mould the pillow into a custom shape to get the most out of the memory foam fill's conforming feel. The gusset shape helps the pillow to retain its structure while offering well-distributed support.
This pillow has a medium soft feel, thanks to its memory foam and microfiber fill, which can be added or removed to find the preferred loft. Every pillow purchase includes half a pound of extra fill. It's gel-infused to regulate temperature and prevent overheating.
The cover and inner pillow are machine washable, although the manufacturer suggests washing the inner pillow once a year to keep its integrity. It comes in three sizes; standard, queen or king, each with a 100-night sleep trial. This hypoallergenic pillow also comes with a 5-year warranty.
2. Best Hypoallergenic - Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam Pillow
- PAIN RELIEF - The perfect combination of firm support & 3” thick high is the best remedy for...
- EXTRA THIN AND FIRM - Extra low profile 3" thick with FIRM support great for stomach and side...
- GREAT SUPPORT - Gently cradles your head and neck, changing shape as you move to provide constant...
- WASHABLE COVER - Ultra Slim pillow paired with Poly-Viscose blend (60/40 split). The outside cover...
- HYPO-ALLERGENIC - Our Memory Foam Pillow is a great alternative for people who suffer from...
This pillow comes at a thickness of 3 inches to provide a perfect blend of support and comfort. The memory foam used to make this pillow is great at conforming to pressure placed on top yet returns to its original shape when the pressure is lifted.
This pillow is firm yet soft enough to curve snugly around the face and head. Consequently, it is known to help people with sleeping problems while also helping alleviate back and shoulder pains. Its cover has a poly-viscose blend, making this one of the best pillows for stomach sleepers that have to deal with allergies.
The Ultra Slim Sleeper Memory Foam's cover is machine washable, making it reasonably easy to maintain this pillow.
3. Best Comfort - Tempur-Pedic Symphony Pillow
- DUAL SIDED MEMORY FOAM PILLOW—This soft pillow blends two designs in one with a gently arched...
- PERFECTED FOR YOU—Expertly engineered to relieve pressure and provide personalized support...
- PERSONALIZED COMFORT—Dual-sided TEMPUR-Pedic pillow material properly and comfortably supports...
- DURABLE & RELIABLE—Adaptive TEMPUR material never loses its shape, offering superior support...
This pillow is designed for combination sleeping, hence the "Symphony" in its name. It spots a reversible design; a contoured side with a higher loft to support back sleepers and a flatter side for stomach and side sleepers.
Its made of a TEMPUR memory foam, a dense and adaptive material that conforms closely to the head and neck without sinking. The material is extremely durable, meaning you get a great deal of lifespan from this pillow. It also has a removable cover made of breathable polyester that can be washed using a household machine.
This pillow is only available in one size, a 5-inch loft option. However, the support level depends on the specific side you'll be using. Tempur also provides a 5-year warranty for the Symphony Pillow.
4. Best Cooling- Bluewave Bedding Ultra Slim Gel Memory Foam Pillow
- IMPORTANT UNPACKING INSTRUCTIONS: After opening, please allow 24 hours for pillow to fully expand
- STOMACH SLEEPING & MORE: Only about 2.5-2.75 inches high, this ultra low profile pillow for sleeping...
- COOLING FEATURES: Infused gel particle technology with ventilation holes help regulate heat and...
- SAFE CERTIPUR-US MEMORY FOAM: Our memory foam is guaranteed free of harmful additives,...
- DUAL SLEEPING SURFACE: Half pillow design with more rounded top and flat bottom - best for sleepers...
Cooling capabilities are arguably the biggest draw to this pillow. It's infused with cooling gel, for starters, which prevents retaining excess body heat, which could quickly spiral into discomfort during the night. The vented design further enhances airflow; all these features culminating in an excellent cooling pillow.
Its made of memory foam, giving it a soft but firm profile for proper support of the head and neck. The foam is free of additives, giving it its hypoallergenic properties. The multi-material cover is easily removable and can be washed using a household machine to maintain the pillow's condition.
5. Best for Neck Pain - PineTales Stomach Sleeper Latex Pillow
- Better than Memory Foam. Won’t sink in all the way.
- Highly responsive but yet a perfect blend of support and endurance. Your head won't sink in!
- No need to buy extra pillowcases. Our Pillow comes with our brand new super soft Designer...
- The Inner Pillowcase is made of ultra stretchable fibers to allow for the best possible moldability...
This is specifically designed as a pillow for stomach sleepers. It comes in one size, a 2-inch core made of solid latex that creates a favourable thin profile. As a result, the user can rest their heads comfortably without affecting their spinal alignment.
The latex material is ventilated with small holes that promote airflow. Also, the cover is made from breathable rayon from bamboo. As such, it tends to absorb body heat quite minimally, making it one of the best cooling pillows on the list. Since latex is naturally durable, this pillow does not flatten or develop permanent impressions as fast as other materials. The inner liner, made of nylon, provides more protection for the latex.
This pillow is also quite versatile, as it can be comfortably used as a seat cushion, say during a flight. Its removable cover can be washed and dried at home, although the latex should only be spot cleaned.
What to Look for in the Best Pillow for Stomach Sleepers
There's plenty to consider when you are getting a pillow for stomach sleeping to ensure that you get proper spinal alignment and full-body support. Ultimately, your budget determines the product you end up buying. With that being said, a quality pillow for stomach sleepers comes at a fairly reasonable price point. You probably won't have to spend too much to get good value. So, here are the essential factors to keep in mind:
This refers to a pillow's height, which then determines the amount of support it can provide. Loft in pillows comes in three variants:
- Low - 3 inches or below, which is ideal for stomach sleepers.
- Medium - 3 to 5 inches, which is just as good for stomach sleepers.
- High - above 5 inches, which we wouldn't recommend for stomach sleeping.
Ideally, a pillow's loft ought to support your head and neck at a comfortable angle. Extremely high or low loft tends to put unwanted pressure on the neck and shoulders.
This mainly hinges on the amount of prop a pillow provides for head and spinal alignment. This then puts other factors, such as loft, firmness or size, into the picture. Proper support means that the pillow helps to minimize tension in the neck and shoulders.
3. Firmness Level
Typically, firmness in pillows ranges from soft to firm, mainly depending on the materials used. Down, down-alternative and memory foam generally are softer than buckwheat and latex. A stomach sleeper is more suited with soft to medium firmness, which more than likely ensures that their head and neck rests at a comfortable angle.
4. Pressure Relief
Pressure on the neck and spine leads to plenty of discomfort for a stomach sleeper. Hence, it would only be prudent to get a pillow that alleviates this tension by cradling the head and neck while ensuring that your spine is aligned correctly. Materials such as latex and memory foam contour the shape of your head and neck remarkably well.
This refers to the ease with which a sleeper can shape a pillow to match their needs or preference. A stomach sleeper may need to mould their pillow in different shapes throughout the night for custom comfort and consistent support. Memory foam excels at moldability, where it compresses quite easily then resumes its former form once the pressure is removed.
Quick Tips for Stomach Sleepers
Getting a stomach sleeper pillow is usually just the beginning of getting consistent good nights' sleep. The following tips should help you to get a better sleeping experience altogether.
- Choose the right mattress that provides ample support and maintains a natural spinal alignment.
- Consider using a pillow under your pelvis to prevent your body from sinking into the mattress, as well as reducing pressure on your spine.
- It is advisable to sleep with your head straight rather than turned on the side, which involves getting a reasonably breathable pillow.
Frequently Asked Questions about Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
1. Which pillow materials are suitable for stomach sleepers?
Down-alternative, latex and memory foam pillows tend to be the most favourable for stomach sleepers. But there's also a host of other materials that are quite common in the best pillows for stomach sleepers.
- Memory foam - Offers great tension relief and spinal alignment due to the excellent response to heat and pressure. However, there's a likelihood for off-gassing, which is not ideal for people sensitive to odours.
- Latex - Breathable, durable and highly supportive material that offers moderate contour but can be a tad thick for some stomach sleepers.
- Down - Soft under-feathers with a malleable and cradling effect that supports head and neck but compresses a bit easier.
- Buckwheat - Malleable material with proper conformity, airflow and good temperature regulation, but can be too firm for stomach sleepers.
- Polyfoam - An affordable pillow fill that provides pressure relief and moderate contouring, though breathability might not be the best.
- Feather - Soft and lightweight material with good conformity, although feathers tend to retain a deal of heat.
Each material has its pros and cons. At the end of the day, the final decision narrows down to your specific needs and preferences.
2. What is the most important thing to consider when getting a pillow for stomach sleepers?
By and large, a pillow's loft is essentially the most significant consideration for a stomach sleeper looking for an ideal fit. Loft determines the angle with which your head and neck lie, as well as the amount of support provided.
This is ultimately subjective for every sleeper. But you might also want to keep size, fill and firmness in mind to really get the most out of your pillow.
3. Why are stomach sleeper pillows thin?
Sleeping on your stomach tends to overextend your neck. As such, a thick pillow will force your neck to bend backwards, which misaligns your spine. Sleeping in such a position will usually be quite uncomfortable and might even lead to injury in the long-term.