Which Weighted Blanket is Best to Buy In 2019? Review Summary
For transparency, I wanted to let you know that this page contains affiliate links.
What is an affiliate link? In a nutshell, as an affiliate and Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you make a purchase after clicking a link on this site, I may receive a small commission, at absolutely no extra cost to you!
Why do I have affiliate links on my site? Running a site like this and producing quality free content can be surprisingly time and resource intensive. Earning some affiliate income allows me to offset and justify these costs and to make a bit extra on the side. Now with that out of the way, onto the good stuff!
If you are considering a weighted product for yourself, a friend, family member or child: Please make sure you are well educated on the right weight to use, and whether use of a weighted product would be safe in your specific situation. If you are at all uncertain, please consult a qualified medical practitioner. Material provided on this site is for general informational purposes only and should not be considered a substitute for qualified medical advice (more info about that here).
Here's Our Review Summary of the Top Manufacturers and Their Blankets
- 1 Here's Our Review Summary of the Top Manufacturers and Their Blankets
- 2 Best Weighted Blankets to buy in 2018 Detailed comparison of features
- 3 Amy Garden
- 4 Mosaic
- 5 Platinum Health
- 6 Buzio
- 7 Zon Li
- 8 What should you know before buying a weighted blanket?
- 9 Final conclusion about buying the best weighted blanket for you
After weeks of research, and hundreds of reviews read, I've looked at huge amounts of information and opinions all over the web. And these are the top recommended weighted blankets I chose between when buying mine!
Top Quality Choice
Mosaic weighted blankets is one of the most renowned providers of weighted blankets in the US, they have every kind of weighted blanket you may want for your specific needs; with different styles and sizes for men, women, teens, or children.
Everyone can have the exact blanket they need, with a design they like, at a great price.
They also provide free shipping on all of orders above $150.
Top Quality Choice
Harkla is a huge manufacturer of therapeutic products, they have accumulated thousands of happy customers. Over the last few years, they've made quite a name for themselves, even though they're a small and dedicated company.
Harkla's mission is to provide quality products for therapeutical purposes, especially for kids with autism or sensory processing disorders, that require top-quality products to helps them relieve their symptoms, but they're also a great option if you're looking for a high-quality blanket with an amazing texture just to help you sleep.
Harkla's blankets are a bit pricey, but the cost evens out when you notice you're also getting a minky dotted outer cover that can be removed for easy washing.
Also it's great to know that 1% of their sales go to the University of Washington's Autism Clinic, to help with the therapy of autistic children and funding autism-related studies.
Budget Friendly Choice
Sensory Goods Weighted Blanket
This recommendation is a personal one: I bough a Sensory Good's blanket a while ago, and so far it has been almost perfect.
After a couple months, it still looks and feels as good as new, even though I carry it around from my apartment to my mom's house every other week and let her have it.
Sensory Goods don't come with a duvet cover, and this has its advantages and disadvantages, first of all, it's cheaper because it's only one piece, but they managed to deliver a one-piece-item that just feels right. The construction and quality is outstanding for its price.
I ordered a simple 17 Lb large one, and so far it hasn’t even dropped a single glass bead (as far as I've seen) also the texture is amazing. One side is made of a layer of cotton (that can be printed with a cute design if you want to), and the other side is a solid color flannel.
I'm not their only happy client though, you can go and read the story of Joe, a 7 year old with Asperger’s: his mom had no clue about how to make him rest well during the night, for 7 years, she hadn’t had a full night of sleep.
She eventually got him a sensory goods weighted blanket and her boy not only started sleeping well, but also improved his attention span, efficiency and behavior in school, now that's what I call the wonders of feeling rested…
Best Weighted Blankets to buy in 2018
Detailed comparison of features
When choosing the perfect blanket for you, there are several things to consider; quality, durability, function, fabric, fillers, and price. And if you don't know which combinations of these suit you better, and where to find the perfect therapy blanket for you, I'm right here to help you out!
Top 7 weighted blankets we would buy
Prices & Details
Mosaic Weighted Blankets
Cotton or minky
Plastic poly pellets
Wide array of variations
Minky and cotton, includes cover
CloudSoft Polyfill™ and Stardust Microbeads™
Minky and cotton, includes cover.
Glass beads blended with fluffy cotton
3 color combinations
Cotton or chenille
Plastic poly pellets
More than 15 patterns
Cotton, minky or flannel covers
Dense sand-sized pellets
One of the biggest weighted blanket sellers in the US
|If you want to buy a 1-piece weighted blanket that is both high quality, durable and with amazing designs, then mosaic weighted blankets is probably the way to go.|
Laura (Mosaic's owner) has been in the business for quite some time, she suffered from sensory processing disorder (SPD) and attention deficit disorder (ADD), and she knows a thing or two about how weighted blankets can help with the symptoms.
If you're near Austin Texas, you can go for yourself an try their blankets for free! And be really sure if they're the right option for you.
Even if they're not the most affordable blankets out there, mosaic has been helping people with insomnia, autism and SPD for a long time, and they do know how to make great weighted blankets!
- 100% high-quality cotton fabric or minky.
- Completely washable and dryable.
- Non-toxic, hypo-allergenic poly pellets.
- It's cotton so it breathes well in hot climates.
- Great construction and highly durable.
- Has amazing designs to fit a lot of different tastes.
- Delightful customer service
Things to Consider:
- Might require to have an extra duvet on top to warm you in colder climates.
- Not a budget friendly option if you're looking for a cheaper blanket without a cover.
- Poly pellets might sound when moving, so it could be not a great fit for light sleepers.
Stablished healthcare company with great quality on their products
|Platinum Health has been manufacturing weighted blankets for quite a while now, they do 1-size-1-weight only, and they really do it well.|
They claim that their new weighted blanket model is the best in the market, and people seem to back that, with a huge popularity all over the web, and being in the online stores for amazon, etsy, walmart and such for quite a while.
They really want their blankets to look good, not like therapeutical items, and their designs and colors are awesome.
They have minky fabric in one side of outer cover that will feel really soft to your body, and SensaDot™ texture pattern on the other side for fidgetty hands.
(Although they don't say anything about where they produce them, have good info on their website and warehoused products all around the states)
- 2-part construction, cover included in price.
- Polyester + cotton fabric.
- They have a great design.
- Outer cover is really easy to wash.
- 30-day warranty.
- Made to be one of the most durable weighted blankets in the market.
- Lots of satisfied customers.
- Everyone says the texture is amazing on both sides, and that the quality of the material can be easily felt.
- Textured dots on the outer side look and feel great.
- It's big, your kid won't outgrow the blanket anytime soon.
Things to Consider:
- Filling can be a bit undistributed, as the inside section often slides all around the blanket.
- Inside stitches aren’t that strong and it can end up separating the inside from the outer cover.
- It doesn't breathe very well because of the polyester and the fluffy duvet, probably better for colder climates.
- 12 Lb and 60"x80" is the only size they have.
- Some people don't like polyester.
Very affordable blankets with great quality for people on a budget
|Maybe you thought you wouldn't going to be able to get a 15Lb weighted blanket for less than a $100, right?|
Well, Zon Li provides affordable weighted blankets manufactured in China and distributed around the US.
Nevertheless, they have great quality and huge range of diversity; cotton or chenille fabrics, 4 different sizes, more than 16 color combinations and 9 different weights, Zon Li provides a very custom approach to getting the perfect blanket for you.
If you know exactly what you need, and in which size, weight and fabric you want it, then ZonLi is a great option.
They have plenty of satisfied customers that thought they would have a bad experience due to having bought a cheaper option, but it turns out most of the blankets come out to be really good.
- 100% premium cotton sewn into small squares.
- Filled with tiny non-toxic plastic pellets.
- It can be handwashed or washed on a gentle setting, but this might compromise its durability.
- The cotton fabric and light construction make them one of the coolest weighted blankets in the market. Definitely recommended for hotter climates.
- A great budget option if you don't need the cover, take good care of it and use it with a soft sheet in between to wash it less.
Things to Consider:
- It is recommended to buy a separate outer cover.
- Durability might be an issue if you don't take good care of the blanket.
- The pellets can leak a bit, again the cover can help with this.
- It has some chemical odor. If you're sensitive you might one to leave it in a fresh place for a day after unpacking.
- The filler can have distribution issues and feel a bit lumpy here and there.
What should you know before buying a weighted blanket?
You might be overloaded with information after all that, so I'll help get it easier. The first thing: for who do you need your blanket for? What's your budget? Will it serve a specific function, like aiding to treat a health condition?
You must ask yourself all of these questions because each blanket manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses, some have a higher price, but your kid might like their design a lot. Or maybe one manufacturer has exactly the kind of blanket you want at a great price, but the height is too short for you.
My suggestion would be to read the details on all of the blankets, and pick 2 or 3 that have everything you think you need, and go check them on Amazon.
You don't need to read all of the reviews (I did that part of the work for you), and I can assure you that those 7 blankets are the best "bang for your buck" in the weighted blanket market right now.
Hopefully I'll find more manufacturers that fit the criteria (which basically means seeing a lot more people loving rather than disliking the blanket).
Final conclusion about buying the best weighted blanket for you
Weighted blankets are awesome, really, I can't say this enough. But they're a bit expensive, and that's the reason why my weighted blanket has been in the bed of my mom, my brother, my girlfriend, and even aunts and cousins.
They don't really want to spend the money in one, but they do enjoy whenever I lend it to them (and sometimes even fight each other to have it, lol)
The point is, weighted blankets can be something almost everyone can enjoy having, and you'll most likely feel really good when you wear it
There's one extra something you need to know before buying your comforter, and it is that it doesn't matter how much research and money you put into getting the best weighted blanket ever for you, or your kid: there's always going to be the chance of it not being totally awesome.
There's always the chance of feeling disappointed by what you bought, you might have underestimated the feeling of the weight, and end up being overwhelmed by it.
Or you might just not feel anything change at all, while wearing it, besides an "uncomfortable" weight on top of you.
We are humans, and we react very differently to stimuli, the blanket is great for people with anxiety, but there's always the chance of making someone even more anxious when he wears it.
And they only real true things about weighted blankets are:
- They are comforting, and can simulate a big and reaaally long hug.
- They're going to stimulate your nervous system via deep touch pressure, and probably make you produce serotonin, thus relaxing you and helping you sleep.
- They are HEAVY!! If you do get a weight above 10% of your body weight these things will ping you down, and make you feel like you never want to get out of bed/couch/wherever you are chilling.
Last words, if you really do end up buying a weighted blanket, I do hope you (or your loved one) enjoy it, and that you have a very happy and long lasting relationship with your new blanket (just take good care of it, don't wash it a lot, and please, please, don't put it on the dog).
Thanks for reading!